Your Entrepreneurship Story
My parents are serial entrepreneur if I may say that. My dad had his chemical engineering degree, then started to work for a company where they make mattresses. He spent at least 10 years in the same company where he became a Director of production. In the meantime, my mom was a full time mom of two (my brother and me). One day, my dad came home very tired (he used to work long hours) and start talking to my mom about how he is thinking about starting his own company, since they have saved some money.
My mom supported him all the way, but she also had her own business that she wanted to start. They both invested in their ideas, a few years later. My mom started by buying one lot and building a small team to build it. I remember, it was in a strategic location (after all the most important think in real estate is the location), a building with 6 condos. She put a sign out for sale, and she was in charge of filtering potential buyers. That was the launch of a successful business, that only started with one idea (and a lot of money).
My dad on the other hand started his company by buying machine to start the production of luxury mattresses, but it didn't go how he planned it. He end up quitting that idea and start helping startup to launch their product. So he kind of sold his knowledge and expertise to the new companies.
I had two great examples of entrepreneurs who are my parents. They started with an idea and no real knowledge about entrepreneurship. In this class, I hope to learn more about how to structure my ideas, and research their pros and con. To be a entrepreneur, you have to be all in and believe in your idea, and that needs a lot of courage, especially when you're used to a certain lifestyle.
I had two great examples of entrepreneurs who are my parents. They started with an idea and no real knowledge about entrepreneurship. In this class, I hope to learn more about how to structure my ideas, and research their pros and con. To be a entrepreneur, you have to be all in and believe in your idea, and that needs a lot of courage, especially when you're used to a certain lifestyle.

Hi Imane,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your entrepreneurship story. Your parents have definitively been through a lot of challenges when trying to make their business idea a reality. I am sorry that your dad's idea didn't happen as he expected. However, in order to succeed you have to try and with trying there are a lot of setbacks, and I am pretty sure that many entrepreneurs have been through the same situation as your dad. I believe that being an entrepreneur is not about coming up with an idea and succeeding, for me, it is about having an idea and taking the steps to make it happen, no matter if you succeed or not, but the importance is that you already took an entrepreneurship choice. Your parents were very brave to take that risk, and that is what matters. I am not an expert with entrepreneurship, but I believe that this class and the experiences you have had before by seeing your parents start their own business will definitively help you shape your business ideas if you decide to have your own business one day.
Imane, this story is very interesting! I congratulate you and your family for making the most out of their knowledge. Your dad did not take no for an answer when his first idea did not quite go to plan. And your mother seems to be a great businesswoman. It was cool to read this story and see that you don't have to start out as an entrepreneur you can work for someone and then branch out. Overall, this was a great post.
ReplyDelete